Good tasting, simple recipe for New England’s favorite dish: fish and chips. Serve with malt vinegar, lemon, or tartar sauce.
How To Make Classic Fish and Chips
This recipe is as classic as it gets. Crispy fish fillet and starchy potatoes will satisfy your hunger.
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into strips
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 quart vegetable oil
- 1 ½ lb. cod fillets
- Place potatoes in a medium-size bowl of cold water.
- In a separate medium-size mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in the milk and egg; stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Let mixture stand for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oil in a large pot or electric skillet to 350 degrees.
- Fry the potatoes in the hot oil until they are tender.
- Drain them on paper towels.
- Dredge the fish in the batter, one piece at a time, and place them in the hot oil.
- Fry until the fish is golden brown.
- If necessary, increase the heat to maintain the 350 degrees temperature.
- Drain well on paper towels.
- Fry the potatoes again for 1 to 2 minutes for added crispness
- Sugar: 5g
- Calcium: 210mg
- Calories: 2513kcal
- Carbohydrates: 65g
- Cholesterol: 120mg
- Fat: 241g
- Fiber: 6g
- Iron: 4mg
- Potassium: 1745mg
- Protein: 41g
- Saturated Fat: 195g
- Sodium: 756mg
- Vitamin A: 226IU
- Vitamin C: 44mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!