How To Make Cornmeal Biscuits
Not your ordinary cornmeal biscuits
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
In a food processor or large bowl, combine 1 ½ cup of the cornmeal with the flour, salt, sugar, cayenne pepper, baking powder and baking soda.
- Cut the butter into dry ingredients until the mixture is about the texture of cornmeal.
- Separately mix the egg with the buttermilk, and stir all but 2 tbsp. of this liquid into the dry mixture.
- Mix just enough to make a uniformly moistened dough.
- Dust a clean board with half the remaining cornmeal, and place on dough.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining cornmeal, and with floured hands, gently push the dough into a circle about a 1/2" thick.
- Cut with a 2 inch biscuit cutter, and place biscuits close together on a greased baking sheet.
- Brush top of the biscuits with reserved buttermilk mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven until puffed and brown, about 12 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- Calcium: 101mg
- Calories: 264kcal
- Carbohydrates: 41g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Fat: 8g
- Fiber: 3g
- Iron: 2mg
- Potassium: 169mg
- Protein: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Sodium: 382mg
- Sugar: 4g
- Vitamin A: 285IU
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!