Tagliatelle with Shiitake Mushrooms and Asparagus Recipe
Wolfgang Puck’s mushroom essence is a treat. This is a recipe you can prepare well in advance. It has such a rich taste that just a few spoonfuls make a big impression upon four servings of pasta. The rest of the essence refrigerates or freezes well, ready for another batch of pasta or to enrich sauces for meat or poultry. So get ready, get set, and go foraging for mushrooms – in your market.
How To Make Tagliatelle with Shiitake Mushrooms and Asparagus
- At least 1 hour before serving, or up to 1 month ahead, make the Mushroom Essence.
- In a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and saute until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, carrot, celery, onion and shallot and saute, stirring constantly, 2 minutes more.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the wine, and cook until no excess liquid remains, about 10 minutes.
Add the broth and cook, stirring occasionally, until about ¼ cup liquid remains, about 8 minutes more.
- Stir in the cream, thyme and salt and pepper to taste.
- Set the mixture aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender or food processor and puree.
Set aside; or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze up to 1 month.
- About 30 minutes before serving time, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, make the Mushroom Sauce: In a large saute pan, heat the oil over high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and saute, stirring continuously, for 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat, stir in the shallot, garlic and butter, and continue cooking just until the butter melts completely.
Stir in the broth and 3 tbsp. of the Mushroom Essence.
- As soon as the mixture comes to a boil, reduce the heat and cook gently for 3 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, put the tagliatelle or fettuccine into the boiling water.
- Cook until tender but still slightly chewy, following the manufacturer's suggested cooking time.
- About 2 minutes before the pasta is done, add the asparagus pieces to the water.
- Pour the pasta and asparagus into a colander to drain.
- Add them to the sauce and gently toss to coat well.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan.
- Taste again and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Evenly divide the pasta, mushrooms, asparagus and sauce among 4 large heated serving plates, arranging some of the asparagus tips and mushroom slices attractively on top.
- Garnish with parsley and basil and serve immediately.
- Calcium: 243mg
- Calories: 789kcal
- Carbohydrates: 80g
- Cholesterol: 100mg
- Fat: 39g
- Fiber: 8g
- Iron: 5mg
- Potassium: 1032mg
- Protein: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Sodium: 1161mg
- Sugar: 8g
- Vitamin A: 3105IU
- Vitamin C: 22mg