How To Make Pasta with Butternut Squash Parmesan Sauce
Offering an amazing flavor, this pasta dish is served with a creamy butternut squash parmesan sauce made of roasted butternut squash, cream, and parmesan.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Cut the butternut squash lengthwise in half and scoop out the guts and seeds and discard them (or save the seeds and toast them).
Pour ¼ cup of water into a baking dish and place the butternut squash halves cut side down.
Bake for 40 minutes, or until a fork easily pierces the squash. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
Scoop out the squash flesh from the skins and put it into a blender. Discard the skins.
Sauté the shallots in the olive oil over medium heat in a small skillet for about 2 to 3 minute until just beginning to brown.
Add the shallots to the blender. Add 1 cup of water, parmesan, 1 teaspoon of salt, and ⅛ teaspoon of nutmeg and blend until smooth.
Taste and add more salt if needed. If the sauce is too thick, thin it with a little more water.
Pour the sauce into a small pot set over low heat.
Mix in the sour cream and warm it through. Do not let the sauce boil.
Fill a pot with water and salt (1 tablespoon of salt for every 2-quarts of water).
Set over high heat to bring to a hard boil.
Add the pasta and cook at a hard boil, uncovered, until al dente.
When the pasta is ready, drain and put it into a bowl.
Mix with a little of the sauce and serve.
Add a dollop of additional sauce and some parsley right when served on the table.
- This butternut pasta sauce will work with any pasta, but spaghetti is an especially good pairing.
- Be careful when cutting the squash, winter squash is hard. The best way to do it safely is to slice a bit off of both ends so that the squash can stand upright without it rolling. Then cut down the middle. See how to cut and peel a butternut squash for visuals, though note for this recipe you do not want to peel the squash before roasting.
- It also helps to microwave the whole squash for 1 minute before cutting into it. This will lightly soften the outside of the squash, making it easier to cut it.
- Calories: 395.41kcal
- Fat: 7.65g
- Saturated Fat: 3.05g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2.90g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.85g
- Carbohydrates: 68.76g
- Fiber: 4.58g
- Sugar: 4.98g
- Protein: 13.49g
- Cholesterol: 10.86mg
- Sodium: 489.90mg
- Calcium: 152.05mg
- Potassium: 528.28mg
- Iron: 1.87mg
- Vitamin A: 481.50µg
- Vitamin C: 19.17mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!