How To Make Creamy Chicken Asparagus Pasta
Tossed in milky Alfredo-style sauce, this asparagus pasta combines tender chicken and salty bacon with 2 kinds of cheese for a rich and creamy pasta dish.
- 1lbchicken breasts,boneless skinless, pounded with mallet to even thickness
- 1tbspolive oil
- ¼tspsalt and black pepper,freshly ground, each, plus more for sauce
- 12ozpenne pasta
- 1lbasparagus,trimmed of ends, remaining diced into 2-inch pieces and steamed
- 2tbspall-purpose flour
- ¼cupcream,or half and half
- 3ozNeufchatel cheese,aka light cream cheese, diced into pieces
- ⅓cupparmesan cheese,finely shredded
- 5slicesbacon,cooked and crumbled into small pieces, optional
In a small bowl, stir together basil, oregano, thyme and salt and pepper. Sprinkle half of the herb mixture evenly over tops of chicken. Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
Once hot, add chicken to skillet, herbed side down, then add remaining herb mixture to tops of chicken.
Cook chicken for 8 to 12 minutes until fully cooked through, occasionally rotating chicken.
Transfer cooked chicken to a plate, let rest for 5 minutes then dice into pieces.
Meanwhile cook pasta according to directions listed on package, reserving ½ of cup pasta water before draining.
In a clean large and deep skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly, add garlic and cook for 30 seconds longer, stirring constantly.
While whisking, slowly pour in milk then cream, whisk vigorously to break up clumps. Season with salt and pepper to taste and bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
Once it reaches a boil and thickens, reduce heat to medium-low, add Neufchatel and parmesan cheese and cook, stirring frequently, until cheeses have melted.
Toss in cooked pasta, then add cooked chicken, steamed asparagus and bacon and toss to evenly coat. Add in reserved pasta water as desired.
- Calories: 659.04kcal
- Fat: 34.05g
- Saturated Fat: 14.33g
- Trans Fat: 0.23g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 12.67g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.22g
- Carbohydrates: 52.51g
- Fiber: 3.57g
- Sugar: 7.59g
- Protein: 34.95g
- Cholesterol: 108.78mg
- Sodium: 505.52mg
- Calcium: 246.12mg
- Potassium: 634.63mg
- Iron: 3.33mg
- Vitamin A: 198.97µg
- Vitamin C: 4.68mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!