A twist on twice-baked potatoes made with yams and sweeter spices such as cinnamon and allspice.
How To Make Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes
Put a twist to the usual twice-baked potato recipe. Add in some autumn spices and serve this delicious dish on the Thanksgiving table. peop
- 6 sweet potatoes
- ¼ butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ¾ tbsp orange zest
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp ground all spice
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place potatoes on baking sheet and bake until just softened, about 1 hour.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
Slice off ½ inch lengthwise from tops of potatoes.
Scoop out pulp, leaving ¼ inch thick shells.
- Reserve 4 shells; discard remaining 2.
- Mash pulp.
- In a small skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, zest, salt, cumin, cinnamon, pepper and allspice.
- Cook until sugar melts, about 2 -3 minutes.
- Combine onion mixture with mashed sweet potatoes.
- Stir in sour cream and cilantro.
- In bowl with mixer on high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold whites into sweet potato mixture.
- Spoon or pipe mixture back into shells.
- Place on baking sheets; bake until filling is just set and tops begin to brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Sugar: 18g
- Calcium: 122mg
- Calories: 348kcal
- Carbohydrates: 74g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Fat: 3g
- Fiber: 11g
- Iron: 2mg
- Potassium: 1213mg
- Protein: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Sodium: 661mg
- Vitamin A: 48197IU
- Vitamin C: 11mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!