How To Make Portobello Shepherd’s Pie
Treat yourself to a healthy, but equally savory plate of shepherd’s pie! It’s packed with colorful veggies, topped with smooth potatoes for a filling dish.
- 4cupsGarlic Mashed Potatoes*
- 1ozparmesan cheese,freshly grated
- 1tbspolive oil
- 1½lbsPortobello mushrooms,cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1¼tspKosher salt,divided
- 1medium onion,diced
- 7ozcarrots,peeled, diced
- ¼cupfresh parsley,chopped, plus more for garnish
- 2tbspfresh thyme,chopped, or rosemary
- 2garlic cloves,minced
- 1tbsptomato paste
- 2tspWorcestershire sauce
- freshly ground black pepper,to taste
- 2tbspall-purpose flour,or gluten-free flour
- 1½cupsvegetable broth,low sodium, or chicken broth
- 1cupfrozen green peas
- 1cupfrozen corn kernels
Prepare the Garlic Mashed Potatoes according to directions.
In a large sauté pan, heat the butter and oil. Add the mushrooms and ½ teaspoon salt, then cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the onion, carrots, parsley, thyme, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper, then sauté 10 minutes.
Stir in garlic, cook for 30 seconds, then add the tomato paste, Worcestershire, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper.
Stir in the garlic, cook for 30 seconds, then add the tomato paste, Worcestershire, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper.
Sprinkle the vegetables with the flour, stir to coat, then cook for 3 to 4 minutes, scraping brown bits from the pan.
Add the broth, peas and corn, then cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until sauce has thickened.
Preheat the broiler to High. Transfer the vegetables to an 8 x 11-inch casserole dish.
Spread the mashed potatoes in an even layer over the vegetables, then top with parmesan.
Broil for 5 minutes, or until top is golden.
Garnish with parsley, serve, and enjoy!
- Check out this Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe to go with this savory shepherd’s pie!
- Calories: 315.48kcal
- Fat: 11.01g
- Saturated Fat: 3.41g
- Trans Fat: 0.25g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3.80g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.87g
- Carbohydrates: 47.13g
- Fiber: 7.42g
- Sugar: 8.78g
- Protein: 10.16g
- Cholesterol: 8.30mg
- Sodium: 1037.59mg
- Calcium: 131.68mg
- Potassium: 1224.29mg
- Iron: 2.25mg
- Vitamin A: 400.40µg
- Vitamin C: 18.88mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!