How To Make Wild Rice and Kale Salad
Made with wild rice, goat cheese, kale, and fresh veggies, this hearty and tasty Wild Rice and Kale Salad is easy to prepare and make ahead!
Add the wild rice and water to an Instant Pot. Secure the lid and move the steam release valve to Sealing.
Select Manual or Pressure Cook and cook on High pressure for 22 minutes.
While the rice is cooking, in a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and maple syrup to make the dressing.
Remove the ribs from the kale and finely chop the leaves (there should be about 2 to 3 cups).
Add the kale to the bowl. Chop about 1 cup of green onions and cut the tomatoes into quarters, adding both to the bowl while working.
Seed and chop the red bell pepper and add it to the bowl. Toss the vegetables to coat well in the dressing.
When the cooking cycle is complete, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes, then move the steam release valve to Venting to release any remaining pressure.
When the floating valve drops, remove the lid and give the rice a stir.
Add the rice to the bowl of dressed vegetables. Toss well to coat.
Chill the bowl in the fridge for 30 minutes, if desired.
Just before serving, stir in the feta, taste, and adjust the seasonings as needed. Add an extra squeeze of lemon juice to brighten the flavors.
Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- To cook the wild rice on the stovetop:
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the rinsed rice and continue boiling for 40 to 55 minutes, reducing the heat as necessary to prevent overflow, until the rice is pleasantly tender but still offers a light resistance to the bite.
- Remove the pot from the heat, drain the rice, and return it to the pot.
- Cover and let the rice rest for 10 minutes, then uncover and set aside while assembling the slaw.
- For a dairy-free or vegan salad, simply omit the cheese. You might enjoy some toasted pepitas (green pumpkin seeds) or sunflower seeds for additional texture and protein.
- Calories: 369.55kcal
- Fat: 12.02g
- Saturated Fat: 3.94g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 5.92g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.35g
- Carbohydrates: 56.81g
- Fiber: 8.19g
- Sugar: 14.30g
- Protein: 13.22g
- Cholesterol: 16.69mg
- Sodium: 497.95mg
- Calcium: 227.33mg
- Potassium: 851.45mg
- Iron: 2.30mg
- Vitamin A: 340.21µg
- Vitamin C: 121.98mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!