A simple pasta salad recipe is one of those things everyone needs all summer long. This one is very easy, super portable, and kid-friendly while still a bit sophisticated. The capers add a little salty punch, but if you don’t mention them to the little ones, they probably won’t notice. Add more of those, and more red pepper flakes, if you want a bigger kick, and add diced cooked chicken or cooked shrimp if you want to make it more of a main dish.
How To Make Piquant Broccoli Pasta Salad
The rice wine vinegar, mustard, and olive oil make for a delicious dressing for this broccoli pasta salad.
Bring a very large pot of water to a boil.
Add a couple of tablespoons of salt, return to a boil, and cook the pasta according to package directions, until just al dente.
- About 2 minutes before the pasta is tender, add the chopped broccoli.
- Drain when both the pasta and the broccoli are just tender, and rinse with cold water.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, rice vinegar, mustard, onion, capers, salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes if using.
- Turn the rinsed pasta and broccoli into the bowl, and use a rubber spatula (or your clean hands) to mix everything together until the pasta is well coated with the dressing.
- Add a bit more olive oil if it seems too dry.
- Sugar: 5g
- Calcium: 65mg
- Calories: 620kcal
- Carbohydrates: 92g
- Fat: 20g
- Fiber: 6g
- Iron: 2mg
- Potassium: 508mg
- Protein: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Sodium: 239mg
- Vitamin A: 499IU
- Vitamin C: 62mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!