This Moroccan Lentil Salad is a fantastic way to get some protein into a vegetarian diet. Alternatively, this dish is a great way to go meat-free. It is fresh, zesty, and filling. What more could you want?
How To Make Moroccan Lentil Salad
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 15 oz. can garbanzo beans drained
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 4 green onions chopped
- 2 hot green chile peppers minced
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- salt to taste
- Place lentils and water in a pot. Bring water to boil, reduce to simmer. Cook for 30 minutes or until tender.
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine lentils, chickpeas, tomatoes, green onions, green chilies, bell peppers, lime juice, olive oil, cilantro, and salt to taste.
- Toss well. Chill for 20 minutes. Serve chilled.
Commonly Asked Questions
Can I make this dish with other lentils?
If you don’t have any garbanzo beans on hand you can make use of any other beans. They will work just as well with the other components of this dish and give you just as good a serving of protein.
Serve dish as an appetizer or as a side to a main dish. This Moroccan Lentil Salad will do well with a portion of grilled chicken breast.