I also make sure the vegetables come out right by grilling them over indirect heat — that is, cooking the vegetables on the cooler side of the grill, not right above the heat, so they are less likely to scorch. A simple marinade of olive oil and herbs also keeps them moist. Then I cool them quickly, spreading them out in a single layer, so they don’t go on cooking from residual heat. All that’s left to do is chop them up, toss them with a flavorful dressing and garnish to your liking — simply with some shavings of cheese for an appetizer or vegetarian main dish or with grilled hot or cold meat, poultry or seafood for a heartier entree. I promise you that, while enjoying this salad, you’ll pat yourself on the back for being such a smart, strategic grill cook!
How To Make Mediterranean Grilled Chopped Vegetable Salad with Feta
A delicious take on your regular vegetable salad. This incredible dish makes use of the grill for that distinctive smokiness that surprisingly goes well with the vegetables. An instant favorite!
Cut the eggplant, zucchini and squash diagonally into slices, about ½-inch thick.
Trim the fennel and cut crosswise into slices, about ½-inch thick.
Peel the onion and cut crosswise into slices, about ½-inch thick.
- Trim the asparagus.
With ½ cup of the olive oil, coat all the vegetables.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Set the vegetables aside.
- Build a fire in a charcoal grill, or preheat a gas grill, for indirect-heat cooking.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and fill a mixing bowl with ice and water.
- Add the green beans to the boiling water and, as soon as it returns to the boil and the beans are bright green, use a wire skimmer or slotted spoon to transfer them to the ice water.
- Add the baby carrots and boil until tender-crisp, 2 to 3 minutes; transfer to the ice water.
- Drain the vegetables and set aside.
- When the fire is hot, place the vegetables on the cooking grid not directly above the heat.
- Cook, turning as necessary to prevent scorching, until are nicely browned and tender-crisp, 5 to 7 minutes total cooking time.
- As they are done, transfer the vegetables to a platter and leave to cool.
Cut the grilled vegetables into ½-inch pieces.
Cut the carrots and green beans on the bias into ¼-inch pieces.
- Put all the vegetables, olives, lettuces and crumbled feta in a large salad bowl.
- Add the remaining olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss well.
Divide the ½ cup of vinaigrette among 4 large salad plates, spooning it around the edge.
- Mound the salad mixture evenly in the middle.
- Using a cheese plane or swivel-bladed vegetable peeler, shave the block of feta over each salad.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
- To make vinaigrette, put all the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl, adding a little salt and pepper.
- With a wire whisk, whisk them together briefly, then taste and, if necessary, adjust the seasonings with more salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Makes 5 cups.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!