How To Make Mason Jar Chickpea, Farro and Greens Salad
This cute greens salad comes packed in a mason jar and is also packed with whole food goodness from the chickpeas and farro.
- 1tbspolive oil
- 1medium clove garlic,pressed or minced
For Greek Dressing:
- 1cupquality extra-virgin olive oil
- ½cupred wine vinegar
- 4cloves garlic,pressed or minced
- 1tbspdried oregano
- 2tspdijon mustard
- 1tspfreshly ground black pepper
- 1tspagave nectar,honey or sugar
For Chickpea and Celery Salad:
- 2canschickpeas,or 3 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4stalks celery,thinly sliced crosswise and roughly chopped
- ⅔cupred onion,about one small red onion, chopped
- ⅓cupGreek dressing,or olive oil and lemon juice, to taste
For Greens and Garnishes:
- Mixed greens,roughly chopped
- ¼cuppepitas,pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds
- dried cherries,or cranberries, roughly chopped
- Kalamata olives,pitted and thinly sliced,optional
- Feta cheese,crumbled, optional
In a medium saucepan, combine the rinsed farro with at least 3 cups water (enough water to cover the farro by a couple of inches). Bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat to a gentle simmer, and cook until the farro is tender to the bite but still pleasantly chewy. Pearled farro will take around 15 minutes, unprocessed farro will take 25 to 40 minutes.)
Drain off the excess water and mix in the olive oil, garlic and salt. Set aside to cool.
Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients until emulsified.
Chickpea and Celery Salad:
In a serving bowl, toss together the chickpeas, prepared celery, red onion and parsley. Stir in enough dressing (or olive oil and lemon juice) to lightly coat the salad. Toss and set aside.
In a skillet over medium-low heat, toast the pepitas for a few minutes, stirring frequently, until they smell fragrant and toasty. Transfer the pepitas to a bowl to cool.
In a quart-sized mason jar (32-ounce capacity), layer the chickpea salad at the bottom along with an additional 1 to 2 tablespoons of dressing.
Top with cooled farro, then greens (leave about an inch of room at the top). Finish with a sprinkle of feta cheese.
- Calories: 1072.48kcal
- Fat: 68.57g
- Saturated Fat: 9.30g
- Trans Fat: 0.00g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 44.43g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 10.34g
- Carbohydrates: 95.45g
- Fiber: 22.22g
- Sugar: 15.45g
- Protein: 26.60g
- Sodium: 1052.51mg
- Calcium: 182.56mg
- Potassium: 811.28mg
- Iron: 7.25mg
- Vitamin A: 74.99µg
- Vitamin C: 24.85mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!