This simple tomato sauce is so versatile! Use it on pasta, with eggplant parmesan or any other recipe that calls for red sauce.
How To Make Marinara Sauce
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small sweet yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil or 1 tsp. dried a viable alternative is 1 tsp. dried chopped basil
- 1 32 oz. can of tomato puree you may also use fresh tomatoes
- 1 32 oz. can of crushed plum tomatoes you may also use fresh tomatoes
- Sauté the onions and garlic in an oiled pan for 5 minutes.
- Afterward, add the basil, puree, tomatoes, and sugar.
- Next, season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Lastly, simmer the sauce for 1 1/2 hours uncovered. Afterward, serve it with your favorite pasta. Enjoy!