Authentic Mexican Mole Sauce Recipe
This authentic Mexican mole sauce recipe is rich, savory-sweet, and spicy. Made from 3 kinds of chilies and a blend of spices for that distinct spicy-sweet taste.
Prep: 20 mins
Additional Time: 10 mins
Cook: 30 mins
Total: 1 hr
- 3 chipotle chiles, dried, stemmed and seeded
- 2 guajillo chiles, dried, stemmed and seeded
- 2 ancho chiles, , or pasilla peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 1 dinner roll, torn into pieces
- 2 corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
- 5 tomatillos, cut in half crosswise
- 2 tomatoes, cut in half crosswise
- 1 tbsp lard
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 garlic head, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄3 cup peanuts, chopped
- ¼ cup raisins
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 6 allspice berries, whole
- 5 cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 5 oz dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Toast chipotle, guajillo, and ancho chiles in a dry pan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until warm and aromatic, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a blender.
- Heat 2 cups chicken broth in a saucepan until it begins to simmer, about 5 minutes. Pour broth into the blender.
- Toast dinner roll pieces and tortilla strips in a dry pan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to the blender with chicken broth and chiles.
- Allow the chiles, toasted bread, and tortillas to soak, fully submerged, in the chicken broth until softened, about 10 minutes. Blend the mixture until smooth.
- Cook tomatillos and tomatoes in a dry skillet on medium-high heat until soft and blackened, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Place tomatoes in the blender with the chile puree.
- Melt lard in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion, garlic, peanuts, raisins, cumin seeds, thyme, allspice berries, cloves, and cinnamon sticks; cook and stir until onions are soft and golden, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove the cinnamon sticks and other whole spices; add onion mixture to the blender with the chile-tomato mixture and blend until smooth.
- Pour chile puree into a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in 1 cup chicken broth, chocolate, sugar, and salt. Bring mixture to a simmer; stir until chocolate is melted and sauce is thickened and slightly reduced, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Sugar: 33g
- Calcium: 684mg
- Calories: 3197kcal
- Carbohydrates: 151g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Fat: 255g
- Fiber: 62g
- Iron: 29mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 112g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 84g
- Potassium: 4700mg
- Protein: 135g
- Saturated Fat: 46g
- Sodium: 1446mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 5764IU
- Vitamin C: 26mg
Submit Your Own Recipe
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!