How To Make Homemade Hummus with Spiced Pita Chips
This classic homemade hummus is a delicious dip made of chickpeas, garlic, tahini, and lemon juice! It comes served with tasty well-spiced pita chips!
For Spiced Pita Chips:
- 4wholewheat pitas,or pita pockets
- 3tbspolive oil
- ½tspgarlic powder
- 1tsplemon pepper
- sea salt,to taste
- 2¼cupschickpeas,cooked, or canned, reserve ¼ cup liquid
- 1tbspolive oil
- ¼cuplemon juice,freshly squeezed
- ¼cupchickpea liquid,or water, reserved
- ¼tsplemon pepper
- sea salt,to taste
- sprinklered pepper,optional, crushed
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
Spiced Pita Chips:
Cut each pita into 8 triangles and arrange on the baking sheet.
In a small bowl, whisk the oil, garlic powder, and lemon pepper together until combined.
Brush each pita triangle with the mixture.
Flip each pita triangle over and brush the other side.
Give them a light sprinkle of sea salt.
Bake the pita triangles for 10 minutes, or until browned and crispy.
Allow to cool while preparing the hummus.
Place all ingredients into the food processor (except for the salt) and process until smooth and creamy.
Add the salt gradually until the hummus reaches the preferred taste.
Add more olive oil and/or reserved chickpea liquid to thin out, if desired.
Add more seasonings to desired taste.
Spoon the hummus into a bowl and drizzle with additional olive oil, a sprinkle of lemon pepper, and a couple of additional chickpeas, if desired.
Serve with spiced pita chips and fresh veggies.
Cover tightly and store up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
- If desired, roast the garlic.
- White flour pitas instead of whole wheat are okay
- Try adding smoked paprika, cumin, sesame seeds, or dried basil to the pita chips and/or the hummus.
- Instead of fresh garlic in the hummus, use garlic powder. Add a little at a time to suit desired taste.
- If desired, add a couple of drops of hot sauce.
- Calories: 1622.96kcal
- Fat: 60.77g
- Saturated Fat: 7.91g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 29.57g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 17.74g
- Carbohydrates: 218.66g
- Fiber: 40.75g
- Sugar: 28.47g
- Protein: 65.81g
- Sodium: 1008.30mg
- Calcium: 297.87mg
- Potassium: 2146.74mg
- Iron: 16.70mg
- Vitamin A: 8.89µg
- Vitamin C: 22.28mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!