With this homemade chip dip recipe, bring a new spin to snacking on chips. You only need literally five minutes to whip up this homemade dip, using ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. It’s fresh, herby, easy to make, and makes a great appetizer. Serve it with french fries or this potato chip recipe at your next party, and your guests will surely love you for it!
Tips on Making Chip Dip
Making your own homemade sour cream dip is healthier because you get to control what’s in it. Since it is made with onion soup mix instead of caramelized onions, it instantly becomes an easy French onion dip recipe we bet you’ll love as well. It’s so delicious you’ll forget about the boring store-bought ones. Plus, it’s cheaper! Here are some tips on how you can make the best chip dip and enjoy it at home.
- Let it sit in a covered bowl in the fridge for at least an hour, and even up to three weeks when properly stored. The longer, the better because the flavor develops as the ingredients come together.
- Onion soup mix gives a richer taste because it has beef stock granules in it. But if it’s not available, you can use dried minced onion or onion powder.
- Serve the sour cream dip in small serving ramekins and give each person a chip and dip set. Alternatively, you can put them in a few medium-sized bowls assembled together with the chips on one big tray to create a chip and dip platter.
- Use ridged potato chips as a dipper. They hold most of the dip! Other fun options are cut-up carrots and celery, baked tortilla chips, and fried chicken strips if you’re into some delicious indulgence.
- Want a healthier potato chip dip? Make this dip with no sour cream by substituting Greek yogurt.
- For other delicious ingredients, you can try upgrading your homemade dip with cream cheese, mayonnaise, mustard, and cayenne for added spice. You can also use fresh herbs as long as the dip will be consumed immediately.
When making for a crowd, you might need to double or triple this recipe, as this sour cream dip for chips is so good it gets consumed in minutes! For other easy snacks, these hot dog nuggets and jalapeno poppers are crowd favorites.
How To Make Homemade Sour Cream Chip Dip
A sour cream chip dip that only takes five ingredients and five minutes to make. It’s creamy, tangy, and made delicious with herbs.
Combine everything together in a bowl. Mix well.
Serve and enjoy!
- Sugar: 2g
- Calcium: 90mg
- Calories: 161kcal
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
- Fat: 15g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 1mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
- Potassium: 145mg
- Protein: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Sodium: 326mg
- Vitamin A: 481IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is my chip dip watery?
Homemade dip turns watery if it has moist ingredients like fresh herbs and aromatics. The sour cream could also change consistency when you freeze and thaw it. It tends to split into two: milk solids, and a watery liquid called whey. It is still totally safe to eat. However, if you’re keen to fix this, you can discard the whey by spooning it out and giving the dip a good stir.
How do I keep chip dip from separating?
Make sure to cover the container with plastic wrap or store it in an airtight jar. You can also place a paper towel on the surface of the dip to absorb excess moisture.
ConclusionSay goodbye to the chip dip packets, and make your own chip dip at home with only five ingredients. This creamy and tangy sour cream chip dip pairs well with potato chips, crackers, and veggies.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!