Rich, hearty, and comforting! This soup is a meal in itself. The spice of the pepper flakes compliment the spice of the Italian sausage. Great served with a baguette and softened butter.
How To Make Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup
This tomato-based soup provides a refreshing sourness and meatiness — perfect for the warmer climate.
- Brown Italian sausage in large skillet until lightly browned.
- Set aside and leave grease in pan.
- Brown onions, peppers and zucchini in sausage grease (add a little olive oil if needed) until slightly soft.
- Place all of these into a very large sauce pan.
- Add chicken broth, tomato sauces, chopped tomatoes, garlic and a handful of each of the fresh herbs.
- Add salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Wilt fresh spinach leaves in a small amount of olive oil in a sauce pan.
- Add to soup along with tortellini pasta and beans.
- Bring to slow boil and then reduce heat again to simmer 30 more minutes.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese.
- Sugar: 9g
- Calcium: 147mg
- Calories: 814kcal
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Cholesterol: 129mg
- Fat: 57g
- Fiber: 7g
- Iron: 7mg
- Potassium: 1646mg
- Protein: 40g
- Saturated Fat: 20g
- Sodium: 1844mg
- Vitamin A: 671IU
- Vitamin C: 43mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!