The classic cure-all made with a whole chicken.
How To Make Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup
A fantastically easy recipe for one of homestyle cooking's all-time comfort food! This chicken noodle soup is enough to fill anyone up and make you feel comfortable inside and out. A simple chicken vegetable stock as a soup base while chicken breasts slowly cooking in the dutch oven is one of life's simple pleasures.
- 3 ½ lb chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 6 cups water
- 5 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 onions, peeled and each cut into 8 wedges
- 8 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 ½ cups egg noodles
- In a Dutch oven, bring chicken and water to a boil over high heat.
- Add carrots, celery, onions, parsley sprigs, bay leaves, salt, and black pepper.
- Return the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 1 hour, or until the chicken is no longer pink inside and the vegetables are tender.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves and parsley sprigs.
- Remove the chicken from the soup.
- Skim the fat from the top of the soup with a large spoon.
- Remove and discard the chicken skin.
- Remove the meat from the bones.
- Cut the chicken meat into 1-inch pieces and return the soup.
- Add noodles and return the soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook 5 minutes, or until the noodles are tender.
- Sugar: 6g
- Calcium: 77mg
- Calories: 519kcal
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Cholesterol: 155mg
- Fat: 30g
- Fiber: 4g
- Iron: 2mg
- Potassium: 730mg
- Protein: 39g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Sodium: 1085mg
- Vitamin A: 13187IU
- Vitamin C: 14mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!