Wedding soup usually uses pork or beef for the meatballs. Why not try this lighter, healthy Italian wedding soup recipe that uses turkey meat instead?
If you love Olive Garden’s signature wedding soup, you can check out our copycat recipe for it here.
How To Make Healthy Italian Wedding Soup
- 1 ¼ lb turkey ground
- 2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tbsp parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- 3 tbsp milk
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion minced
- 3 carrots diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 10 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup whole wheat macaroni or your favorite whole wheat pasta
- 1/4 cup dill minced
- 1/4 cup basil minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 oz spinach washed and drained
- Mix the meatball ingredients together in a large bowl using a fork. Form them into about 35-40 teaspoon-sized meatballs.
- Bake at 350 degrees on a cookie sheet for 30 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven and cook the onion, carrots, and celery over medium heat until soft, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the liquids and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta to the broth and cook for 5 minutes. Lower heat.
- Add the herbs and meatballs to the soup. Simmer for another 2 minutes and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted. Serve with cheese on top.