Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup (Olive Garden Copycat)
There’s a lot to love about this gnocchi soup- the tasty chicken, creamy broth, and fresh veggies, among others. It’s a great dish for a cold night.
- 1¼cupsyellow onion,finely chopped
- 1cupcarrot,small diced
- 1cupcelery,small diced
- 1tbspolive oil
- 14½ozlow sodium chicken broth,(2 cans)
- ½tspdried rosemary,(or 1½ tsp minced fresh)
- ½tspdried thyme,(or 1½ tsp minced fresh)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1lbschicken breast,boneless skinless, pounded evenly to nearly ½-inch thickness, (or 2½ cups cooked shredded rotisserie chicken)
- 16ozpotato gnocchi,or homemade gnocchi
- 6tbspall purpose flour
- ⅓cupheavy cream
- 2cupsfresh spinach,packed, roughly chopped
- romano cheese,or parmesan cheese, shredded for serving, optional
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and sauté 6 minutes, add garlic and saute for 1 to 2 minutes longer.
Pour in broth, add rosemary, thyme, nutmeg and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add in chicken breasts (if using rotisserie chicken wait to add at the end) and bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and allow to simmer for about 8 to 12 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
Meanwhile, while chicken is cooking, melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, cook and stir constantly for 1 minute.
While whisking vigorously, pour in milk then continue to whisk vigorously to smooth any lumps. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
While whisking constantly, cook until mixture thickens and lightly boils. Stir in cream, remove from heat.
Once chicken in soup has cooked through remove chicken from soup and allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes then dice or shred into pieces. If veggies aren’t nearly soft, let that soup simmer a few minutes longer before adding gnocchi.
Add gnocchi to broth mixture, cover and simmer for recommend time directed on package. Reduce to low heat.
Stir milk mixture into broth mixture, then add in cooked chicken (shredded rotisserie or cooked chicken breasts) and spinach. Cook for about 1 minute until spinach wilts.
Serve warm with Romano cheese if desired.
- Calories: 616.74kcal
- Fat: 33.24g
- Saturated Fat: 16.00g
- Trans Fat: 0.56g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 11.18g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.14g
- Carbohydrates: 49.69g
- Fiber: 4.71g
- Sugar: 9.29g
- Protein: 30.59g
- Cholesterol: 137.63mg
- Sodium: 1171.05mg
- Calcium: 203.54mg
- Potassium: 1009.65mg
- Iron: 3.78mg
- Vitamin A: 501.81µg
- Vitamin C: 21.82mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!