This soup takes a lot of attention, but it is a beautiful product in the end. Spinach adds a lovely green tint to the dish.
How To Make Cream of Cucumber Soup
This vibrant cream of cucumber soup recipe is filling enough to be the main course. A creamy and thick soup served with crispy croutons.
- Peel the cucumbers and cut the shavings into dice. Boil gently in salted water until soft. Drain, and set aside.
- Chop the cucumber flesh and the onions into dice as well.
- Heat a pot with 1 tablespoon of Crisco and sautee diced onions and cucumber flesh for 5 minutes. Add parsley and stock, let it simmer 20 minutes.
- Mix the cornstarch with milk and add to the pot. Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Wash and drain the spinach and pound it in a mortar. Then get a cloth and lightly squeeze the liquid into the pot to get that green color.
- Strain the soup through a sieve then return it to the pot. Set aside.
- Whisk cream and egg yolks in a basin and pour the hot soup little by little while stirring at the same time. Return to the pot and heat over a low flame for 8 minutes. Keep stirring to avoid boiling and curdling. Turn the heat off.
- Season with nutmeg, pepper, and salt to taste.
- In a separate pan heat 1 tablespoon of Crisco and toss the croutons, sugar, salt, and pepper for 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Ladle soup into a bowl and sprinkle cucumber peel and croutons on top. Serve while hot.
- Sugar: 18g
- Calcium: 228mg
- Calories: 678kcal
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Cholesterol: 267mg
- Fat: 56g
- Fiber: 5g
- Iron: 1mg
- Potassium: 691mg
- Protein: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 31g
- Sodium: 1034mg
- Vitamin A: 2583IU
- Vitamin C: 21mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!