How To Make Chickpea Noodle Soup
Instead of chicken, go meatless and enjoy a comforting bowl of vegetarian chickpea noodle soup for when you’re feeling cold or under the weather.
- 2tbspextra-virgin olive oil
- 1medium yellow onion,chopped
- 1cupcelery,(about 2 long stalks) thinly sliced
- 1cupcarrots,(2 medium or 4 small carrots) peeled and cut into thin rounds
- ¼tspsalt,more to taste
- ½tspground turmeric
- ½tspcurry powder,(optional)
- 1bay leaf
- 1½cupschickpeas,(1 can) cooked, rinsed and drained
- 8ozspiral pasta
- 2tbspfresh flat-leaf parsley,chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 8cupsvegetable broth
- freshly ground black pepper,to taste
Warm the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the onion, celery, carrots, and ¼ teaspoon of salt.
Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until the onions are turning translucent and softening, stirring often.
Add the turmeric and curry powder, if using, and stir constantly for about 30 seconds to wake up their flavors. Add the bay leaf, chickpeas, pasta, parsley, and broth.
Raise the heat to high and bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low and continue simmering for about 10 to 20 minutes, or until the pasta is pleasantly tender.
Remove the pot from the heat and season generously with pepper. Add more salt, to taste, if necessary.
Serve while hot, with some extra parsley and pepper on top as garnish. Enjoy!
Once cool, store the soup in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 5 days.
- Calories: 395.79kcal
- Fat: 8.39g
- Saturated Fat: 1.10g
- Trans Fat: 0.00g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4.15g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.13g
- Carbohydrates: 65.60g
- Fiber: 9.14g
- Sugar: 8.52g
- Protein: 16.00g
- Sodium: 188.56mg
- Calcium: 75.88mg
- Potassium: 626.55mg
- Iron: 3.30mg
- Vitamin A: 191.50µg
- Vitamin C: 7.65mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!