Flavorful and delicious, making this soup from scratch will make for a proud cooking moment! It even satisfies your cravings for Mexican dishes because the spices are what gives this dish its quirk. Not to mention you get that subtle Mexican flare in this chicken tortilla soup recipe.
How To Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
A pot of bits of Mexican flavors made into a hearty and flavorful soup. Its main ingredients compose of bite-sized chicken bits and crushed tortilla chips.
- 10 oz chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 5½ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup tequila
- 28 oz tomatoes, (1 can), crushed or diced
- 5½ oz yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano, cooked
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 cup corn kernels, canned, drained
- 7 oz green bell peppers, chopped
- 15 oz black beans, canned, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup cilantro, fresh, chopped
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp green onions, chopped, per serving
- 1 oz tortilla chips, crushed, per serving
- 1 oz pepper jack cheese, grated, per serving
In a medium stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until translucent.
Add chili powder, oregano, cumin, and coriander then roast briefly.
Add corn and bell peppers then continue sauteing.
Deglaze with tequila and reduce briefly.
Add beans, chicken, cilantro, tomatoes, and broth. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust accordingly.
Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and top with crushed tortilla chips and cheese. Garnish with chopped green onions, and serve!
- Sugar: 4g
- Calcium: 32mg
- Calories: 104kcal
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Cholesterol: 18mg
- Fat: 3g
- Fiber: 3g
- Iron: 1mg
- Potassium: 523mg
- Protein: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Sodium: 727mg
- Vitamin A: 1069IU
- Vitamin C: 30mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!