To many, a grilled cheese sandwich is a well-loved comfort food. With this recipe, we will show you how to take a somewhat basic meal and elevate it. With a few simple tweaks, you can bring this dish from childhood-treat to restaurant-worthy.
How To Make Italian Grilled Cheese and Tomato
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic cracked away from skin
- 8 slices crusty Italian bread
- 1 lb smoked fresh mozzarella cheese sliced
- 2 ripe tomatoes thinly sliced
- 8 basil leaves torn
- Heat a grill pan over medium low to medium heat. Heat oil and garlic in a small pot over low heat.
- Brush 4 slices of the bread with garlic oil on 1 side. Place garlic oil side down on the grill.
- Top with sliced cheese, tomato and basil. Place another slice of bread on top of each sandwich.
- Brush sandwiches with garlic oil. Press sandwiches with heavy skillet or a brick covered with tin foil. Toast sandwiches on both sides to melt cheese
Commonly Asked Questions
Can I add meat to this recipe?
Adding some crisp bacon or sliced ham to this recipe can give it an extra bit of protein and some definite added flavor. Alternatively, grilled chicken strips or beef pastrami will also add heaps of flavor to your grilled cheese sandwich.
With a couple of small changes, you no longer have to settle for boring, basic grilled cheese sandwiches. This recipe is a great way to start experimenting in the kitchen if you have never cooked before!