How To Make Grilled Chicken Under a Brick
Make this crispy and flavorful grilled chicken under a ‘brick’ or really, just anything heavy! The chicken skin turns perfectly crispy, perfect for dinner!
Use kitchen shears to remove the backbone of the chicken.
After removing it, cut through the breast middle to split the chicken into two halves.
Press down flat on a baking sheet. Alternatively, butterfly the chicken.
Mix together the garlic, rosemary, thyme, lemon zest, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
Slather the chicken with the mixture on both sides, and work some of the marinade under the skin of the chicken as well.
Alternatively, just drizzle the chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Cover the chicken loosely and let rest for 30 minutes.
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
Cover the bottom of the heavy thing (will be referred to as “brick”) with the foil and brush the outer part of the foil with oil to prevent any sticking.
Preheat the brick in the grill for 5 minutes before cooking the chicken.
When everything is nicely preheated, add the chicken to the grill, skin-side down.
Add the brick to the top of the chicken to press down. Let the chicken grill for 8 minutes, skin-side down.
After 8 minutes, remove the brick and flip the chicken. Return the brick to the top of the chicken and grill for another 8 minutes.
After another 8 minutes have passed, remove the brick and flip the chicken back so it is skin-side down. Do not replace the brick this time.
Grill the chicken for 3 to 4 minutes, and then flip again so it is skin-side up.
Grill for another 3 to 4 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165 degrees F in the thickest part.
When the chicken comes off the grill, let it rest for a few minutes, and then slice it into serving pieces.
Serve with standard BBQ party sides of choice, such as potato salad, green salad, or macaroni salad.
- Any time “brick” appears in this recipe, know that it can substitute whatever heavy item is decided to use, such as a cast-iron skillet, pizza stone, etc. The thing will be called a “brick” just to make it easy.
- Keep the leg and thigh connected, but it could be broken down any way desired.
- The chicken keeps well in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat the chicken in a 350 degrees F oven for 10 to 15 minutes. The skin won’t be as crispy as straight off the grill, but it will still have great flavor.
- Calories: 859.80kcal
- Fat: 64.84g
- Saturated Fat: 16.56g
- Trans Fat: 0.33g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 31.09g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 12.44g
- Carbohydrates: 2.45g
- Fiber: 0.73g
- Sugar: 0.38g
- Protein: 63.64g
- Cholesterol: 255.15mg
- Sodium: 709.57mg
- Calcium: 50.66mg
- Potassium: 683.36mg
- Iron: 3.44mg
- Vitamin A: 141.83µg
- Vitamin C: 14.65mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!