This perfect summer meal gives a nod to German fare. It’s an ideal menu for tailgating or a family barbecue.
How To Make Grilled Bratwurst with German Potato Salad
- 4 cans beer (12 oz)
- 1 1/2 lb Bratwurst sausage links (2-3 oz. links)
- 2 lb baking potatoes peeled and medium diced
- 6 oz raw bacon chopped
- 1 cup onions chopped
- black pepper freshly ground
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup whole grain mustard
- 4 hard-boiled eggs sliced
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- drizzle vegetable oil
- 12 slices or 6 rolls, dark bread, warm
- crock whole grain mustard
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, bring the beer up to a simmer. Add the sausages and cook until plump, about 4-6 minutes.
- Preheat the grill. In a saucepan, over medium heat, cook the potatoes in salted water until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove and drain well. Keep warm.
- In a sauté pan, over medium heat, cook the bacon until crispy. Add the onions.
- Season with black pepper. Sauté for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked potatoes, crispy bacon/onions with fat, vinegar, to taste, mustard, eggs, and green onions. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Using the back of a spoon, mash the mixture together. The salad should be well blended but with some lumps.
- Lightly brush the sausages with oil. Place on the grill and cook for a couple of minutes on each side. Remove the sausages from the grill.
- Mound the potato salad in the center of each serving plate. Lay the sausages next to the salad. Garnish with parsley. Serve with the brown bread and mustard.