Trail mix adds a nutty texture to these delicious caramel apples.
How To Make On The Trail Caramel Apples
It's sweet and addicting — an absolute favorite of kids. Serve this for dessert or birthday parties.
- 6 Granny Smith apples
- 14 oz. caramels, unwrapped,individually wrapped
- 2 Tbsp. water
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups trail mix
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Insert wooden sticks ¾ of the way into the stem end of each apple.
- Place apples on a cookie sheet covered with lightly greased aluminum foil.
- Combine caramels and water in a saucepan over low heat.
- Cook, stirring often, until caramel melts and is smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Dip each apple into the caramel and gently run apples around insides of saucepan to scrape off some of the caramel.
- Scrape excess caramel from the apple bottoms using the side of the saucepan.
- Spread the trail mix out on a dinner plate.
- Roll the apples in the mixture to coat.
- Place on the aluminum foil and chill.
- Put the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Cook in the microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring between each, until melted and smooth.
- Drizzle over the apples and return them to the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Sugar: 88g
- Calcium: 145mg
- Calories: 669kcal
- Carbohydrates: 113g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Fat: 23g
- Fiber: 8g
- Iron: 3mg
- Potassium: 608mg
- Protein: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Sodium: 201mg
- Vitamin A: 169IU
- Vitamin C: 10mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!