How To Make Lemon Girl Scout Cookies (Copycat)
Looking for those classic lemon girl scout cookies? This copycat recipe serves perfectly baked lemon cookies, drizzled with a luscious glaze.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, (1½ sticks) softened
- yellow food coloring, optional
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp lemon peel, finely grated
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
For Lemon Glaze:
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1½ tbsp lemon juice
Mix flour and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside. Beat butter and granulated sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
Add egg, egg yolk, lemon peel, lemon juice, and food coloring, if using. Mix well.
Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until well mixed. Divide dough in half. Form each half into a log about 9-inch long and 1½-inch in diameter. Wrap in wax paper.
Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut dough into ¼-inch thick slices. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until very lightly browned around the edges. Cool on baking sheets for 1 minute. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
Mix confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice. Stir until well combined and smooth.
Dip the bottom of each cookie into glaze, then gently set the cookie with the dipped bottom side up, onto a wire cooling rack to allow the glaze to set up.
Serve and enjoy.
- If a thicker glaze is desired, add more powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Mix until smooth.
- If a thinner glaze is desired, add more lemon juice, 1 teaspoon at a time.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!