I remember my mother making this pie when I was a little girl. It has stayed in our family. I make it every year for Easter. It was on television about 20 years ago. It’s easy to make and delicious.
How To Make Italian Easter Rice Pie
This is a typical Easter dessert that is easy to make and not too sweet. The rice settles at the bottom of the pie, leaving a custard-like layer on top. Top it with a dollop of whip cream on top for a perfect finish.
- ⅔ cup Crisco
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg beaten, into 1/4 cup ice water
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- ⅔ cup white rice, cooked and cooled
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg, for brushing top of pie
- Mix shortening flour and salt until crumbly.
- In another bowl, slightly beat the egg, water, and vinegar and add to the flour mixture.
- Mix quickly and line a 9-inch pie plate with half of the pastry.
- Pour in the rice filling and top with the remaining pastry.
- Beat egg with fork and brush top of pie generously.
- Cut a few air vents on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Sugar: 13g
- Calcium: 164mg
- Calories: 521kcal
- Carbohydrates: 52g
- Cholesterol: 134mg
- Fat: 28g
- Fiber: 2g
- Iron: 2mg
- Potassium: 159mg
- Protein: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Sodium: 332mg
- Vitamin A: 422IU
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!