How To Make Kataifi (Shredded Phyllo With Nuts and Syrup)
Follow this easy kataifi (shredded phyllo with nuts and syrup) recipe for a light and sweet dessert. A traditional Greek delight with walnuts and spices rolled in phyllo strands and ladled with sweet syrup on top.
To Make The Syrup:
- In a small pot, bring to boil sugar, water, cinnamon stick, and lemon peel. Simmer until sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool off.
To Make The Kataifi:
- In a blender, add the walnuts, ground clove, and cinnamon. Pulse until the walnuts are coarse.
- Melt butter in a small pan and with a cooking brush butter the bottom and sides of a baking pan.
- Take out kataifi dough from the plastic sleeve. Work the dough by hand. Separate dough into strands if clumped together. Cover dough with a slightly damp towel.
- Take 1 piece of kataifi strand and place on a working surface. Drizzle with melted butter and place 1 teaspoon of filling at the end. Roll dough tightly and fold sides to make a small cylinder.
- Place kataifi roll in the buttered pan and brush with melted butter. Rolls shouldn't have gaps in between. Bake in the oven at 338 degrees F for 1 hour until nicely colored and crispy.
- Take out ktaifi out of the oven and ladle ¾ of the syrup over. Allow each ladle to absorbed before adding more. Cover pan with a towel and set aside for 10 minutes. Ladle the rest of the syrup and wait until absorbed.
- Serve and enjoy this delicious kataifi dessert! Best with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Sugar: 21g
- Calcium: 18mg
- Calories: 292kcal
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fat: 18g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 1mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 6g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g
- Potassium: 58mg
- Protein: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Sodium: 208mg
- Vitamin A: 418IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!