How To Make Bougatsa (Greek Custard Phyllo Pie)
Taste the layers of goodness in this bougatsa (Greek custard phyllo pie) recipe. Stacks of crispy phyllo brushed with rich butter and filled with a creamy sweet custard that will delight everyone!
- Preheat oven to 320 degrees F. Prepare an 8x12 inch baking tray and brush it with melted butter at the bottom and sides.
- In a large bowl add sugar, eggs, and flour. Whisk until combined.
- In a saucepan pour milk and vanilla extract. Bring mixture to a boil. Right before milk comes to a boil, add ⅓ of the milk mixture into the flour mixture and stir.
- Turn the heat down. Pour flour and milk mixture into the saucepan with remaining warm milk. Whisk quickly until mixture has thickened and becomes smooth and creamy. Continue to stir with heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent a skin from forming on top.
- Take phyllo dough out. Add 1 sheet of phyllo and brush with melted butter. Repeat process for 5 layers. Pour milk custard over phyllo and even it out by using a spatula. Fold edges over the custard.
- To cover, add 1 sheet of phyllo over custard and brush with melted butter. Repeat process for 5 layers and trim excess. Brush the top layer with melted butter and score with a knife.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes until phyllo is crisp and golden brown.
- Take bougatsa out of the oven and give time to cool down. Sprinkle icing sugar and cinnamon on top. Enjoy warm with a hot cup of tea or coffee.
- Sugar: 25g
- Calcium: 145mg
- Calories: 479kcal
- Carbohydrates: 57g
- Cholesterol: 77mg
- Fat: 24g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 2mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 10g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g
- Potassium: 228mg
- Protein: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Sodium: 456mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 966IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!