How To Make Galaktoboureko (Greek Custard Pie)
Enjoy the crispy, creamy taste of this galaktoboureko (Greek custard pie) recipe. Layers of thin and buttered phyllo pastry, filled with a rich custard and ladled with sweet syrup on top.
To Make The Syrup:
- In a small pan, add 2⅞ cups sugar, water, lemon peel, cinnamon stick, and lemon juice. Bring it to a boil. Simmer until sugar is dissolved. Remove pan from heat, add honey, and stir. Set aside to cool off.
To Make The Custard:
- In a saucepan, add milk, cream, and sugar. Bring to a boil. As it comes to a boil, slowly add semolina and vanilla extract. Turn heat down to medium and whisk until mixture is creamy. Remove from heat and mix in 1 ounce butter. Set custard aside but keep it warm. Stir occasionally.
- Place egg whites and ½ cup sugar in a mixing bowl. Make sure egg whites, bowl, and whisk attachments are dry. With an electric mixer whisk egg whites and sugar until mixture is thick and glossy, all the sugar has dissolved and a stiff peak forms. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks and ½ cup sugar for 5 minutes or until the mixture is thick and foamy.
- With a spatula, add ¼ of the stiff egg whites or meringue into the egg yolk mixture and mix with light circular movement from the bottom up. Gradually add all the meringues into the mixture and fold.
- Pour the custard into the meringue and egg yolk mixture and fold the two mixtures together. Set aside.
To Make the Galaktoboureko:
- Preheat oven to 320 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan melt 8 ounces butter on low heat. Brush the sides and bottom of a 9x12 inch baking tray. Take the phyllo pastry out and layer each one on the bottom of the tray. Butter each layer as it is added.
- Pour the custard on top of the phyllo. Even the custard out using a spatula and fold the edges of the pastry over the custard.
- Add 6 sheets of phyllo on top, buttering each layer. With a knife trim the excess edges of pastry and use the pastry brush to help turn the phyllo inwards, towards the bottom of the pan to seal the galaktoboureko.
- Use the knife to score the top of the galaktoboureko. Cut down until the knife reaches the cream. Pour over remaining butter and sprinkle a small amount of water.
- Bake in the oven for 60 to 75 minutes until the phyllo turns crisp and golden. Take the tray out of the oven and ladle cold syrup on top slowly. Serve after syrup is absorbed. Enjoy!
- Sugar: 65g
- Calcium: 78mg
- Calories: 601kcal
- Carbohydrates: 82g
- Cholesterol: 92mg
- Fat: 29g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 1mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 11g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g
- Potassium: 141mg
- Protein: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 12g
- Sodium: 272mg
- Vitamin A: 1203IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!