Caramel-flavored apples combine deliciously with a crisp streusel topping. A bonus: There are plenty of juices from the pie to spoon over scoops of ice cream.
How To Make Deep-Dish Caramel Apple Pie
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 35 mins
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cut into 1/2-in. pieces, frozen
- 4 tbsp ice water
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter chilled, cut into small pieces
- 3 lb Golden Delicious apples peeled, cored,cut into 3/4-in.-thick wedges
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water plus 2 tbsp
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- To make crust: Mix 1 1/2 C. flour, 2 Tbs. sugar and 1/4 tsp. salt in processor. Add butter and cut in using on/off turns until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Blend in enough ice water by tablespoonfuls to form large moist clumps. Transfer dough to work surface. Gather dough into ball. Flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic. Chill dough 30 minutes.
- To make streusel: Mix flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice and salt in medium bowl to blend. Rub in butter with fingertips until mixture forms pea-size clumps. (Dough and streusel can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate streusel. Keep dough chilled. Let dough soften slightly at room temperature before rolling out.)
- To make filling: Combine apple wedges and 1/4 C. flour in large bowl and toss to coat. Let stand while preparing caramel. Stir sugar and 1/4 C. water in heavy large saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and boil until syrup turns deep amber color, brushing pan sides with wet pastry brush and swirling pan occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add butter and remaining 2 Tbs. water (mixture will bubble vigorously). Return to heat and stir until smooth. Pour caramel over apples; toss to coat. Let stand until apples release juices, tossing occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 375 F. Roll out dough on floured work surface to 14 in. round. Transfer to 9 1/2-in. diameter glass pie dish with 1 3/4 in. high sides. Crimp edges decoratively. Spoon apple mixture into prepared crust.
- Sprinkle streusel over pie. Bake pie until apples are tender and streusel is golden, covering crust edge with foil if browning too quickly, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Transfer pie to rack and cool at least 1 hour. Serve pie warm or at room temperature.
Calories: 492kcal | Carbohydrates: 77g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 122mg | Potassium: 176mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 49g | Vitamin A: 676IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 2mg