How To Make Crispy Bean Tostadas with Smashed Avocado and Jicama-Cilantro Slaw
Savor a loaded Mexican dish with these bean tostadas. They come with crispy tortillas layered with refried beans, pickled onions, tomato, and cheese.
For Pickled Red Onions:
- ½medium red onion,thinly sliced
- 1tbspwhite vinegar
For Jicama-Cilantro Slaw:
- 2cupsshredded green cabbage
- ½cupfresh cilantro leaves
- ½cupjicama,¼-inch-thick slices peeled, or additional shredded cabbage
- ½tspground cumin
- ½tspchili powder
- salt and freshly ground black pepper,to taste
- 6corn tortillas
- extra-virgin olive oil,or cooking spray
- salt,to taste
- 36ozvegetarian refried beans,(2 cans), or 1 batch homemade refried beans
- 3large ripe avocados,pitted and peeled
- ½cuphalved grape tomatoes
- ½cupcrumbled queso fresco,or feta cheese
To make the pickled onions, in a medium bowl, combine the sliced onions with the lime juice, vinegar, and salt and stir until the onions are well coated.
Let the onions sit while making the slaw and tostadas. The pickled onions can be stored in a jar in the fridge for up to 1 week.
To make the slaw, in a large bowl, combine the cabbage, cilantro, jicama, lime juice, cumin, and chili powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Brush or spray both sides of each tortilla generously with olive oil or cooking spray, season with salt, and arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
Bake for 4 minutes, then flip and bake for 4 to 8 more minutes, until the tortillas are crispy.
Gently heat the refried beans in the microwave or on the stovetop.
In a large bowl, mash the avocados with a fork or potato masher. Stir in the lime juice and season with salt to taste.
Spread refried beans evenly over each tortilla. Add a layer of smashed avocado and top with the slaw, pickled onions, tomatoes, and queso fresco. Serve immediately.
- Calories: 507.17kcal
- Fat: 29.04g
- Saturated Fat: 5.19g
- Trans Fat: 0.09g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 17.71g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.22g
- Carbohydrates: 52.94g
- Fiber: 20.72g
- Sugar: 4.59g
- Protein: 15.76g
- Cholesterol: 7.02mg
- Sodium: 1004.00mg
- Calcium: 185.96mg
- Potassium: 1420.49mg
- Iron: 4.66mg
- Vitamin A: 47.91µg
- Vitamin C: 35.92mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!