This au gratin potato recipe is so easy and delicious! You can half or double again the cheese sauce amounts if you like your potatoes saucy. This recipe is pared down from a restaurant recipe for 10 lb potatoes.
How To Make Mom's Au Gratin Potatoes
- 2 1/2 lb. potatoes cooked, cooled, peeled and sliced
- 3 1/8 cup milk, heated to warm (in the microwave)
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup American or white Cheddar cheese shredded
- enough cheese slices to cover the top
- Cook the potatoes in a covered pan in their jackets in salted water until tender. Cool then peel the potatoes and slice them.
- In a heavy saucepan, saute the onions in the butter. Add flour and slightly brown it. Add the warm milk, cheese, salt and pepper. Cook until thickened and cheese is melted.
- Gently mix the cheese with the potatoes. Put in a 9x13-inch pan and cover the top with the cheese slices.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until center is hot.