Upgrade your usual rice meals with this delicious cream of mushroom rice casserole recipe. Instead of just plain white rice, this recipe uses beef broth and condensed cream of mushroom soup to add a layer of umami and savory flavor to the rice. It also gives the dish a soft, creamy, and buttery texture that tastes wonderful with the added mushroom pieces. Serve this deliciously creamy mushroom rice casserole with some tender baked pork chops for a filling meal.
Tips on Making Cream of Mushroom Rice Casserole
It’s so easy to make this cream of mushroom rice recipe at home. All you have to do is mix all of the ingredients together, and place it evenly on the casserole dish for baking. Since it’s a simple recipe, you can try mixing in a few more flavorful ingredients like meat or even cheese. Try out some of our helpful tips below, and find out which one suits your taste!
- Add more vegetables like fresh green beans, peas, diced carrots, or even broccoli. These vegetables will definitely add a delicious crunch to your cream of mushroom rice. It will also make this rice dish even more vegetarian friendly, especially if you use vegetable broth instead of the beef broth.
- Use beech mushrooms or baby bella mushrooms (cremini). These are the best mushrooms to pair with this mushroom rice casserole. Beech mushrooms have a lightly sweet and nutty flavor with a subtle crunchy texture. Meanwhile, brown baby bella or cremini mushrooms have a deeper and earthy flavor. Either way, we guarantee that both mushrooms will really bring out the delicious savory flavors of this rice recipe.
- Experiment with different types of rice. For long-grain rice varieties, you can try jasmine rice or brown rice. Jasmine rice has a fluffy and delicate texture while brown rice has a medium to firm chewy texture with a subtle nutty flavor. Or, level up your dish even further with wild rice, which is not technically rice, but a healthier grain option nonetheless. It has a nuttier and earthier flavor that pairs well with sweet and savory recipes.
- Mix in meat chunks. If you prefer a bit of meaty flavor, then we suggest adding in chunks of chicken, beef, or pork. We recommend pre-cooking the meat first before combining it with the rice mixture. Adding in raw meat would affect the cooking time of the dish so try to cook the meat just a little bit so it evenly bakes with the rest of the ingredients.
- Try sprinkling in some parmesan cheese. Rice with a bit of cheese is a delicious combination that you should try. For this cream of mushroom rice recipe, we suggest garnishing just a bit of parmesan cheese on top of the rice. Parmesan cheese has that sharp, tangy, and slightly nutty flavor that pairs well with this rice dish.
How To Make Cream of Mushroom Rice Casserole
Enjoy a flavorful mix of rice with this simple cream of mushroom rice casserole loaded with mushroom slices and chopped onions.
Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a bowl, mix all the ingredients well before pouring them into your casserole.
Bake for roughly an hour until all liquids have been absorbed and the rice is tender.
Serve your cream of mushroom rice in a bowl or plate and garnish with parsley. Best paired with any roasted item.
- Sugar: 1g
- Calcium: 22mg
- Calories: 230kcal
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Fat: 9g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 1mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
- Potassium: 277mg
- Protein: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Sodium: 588mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 238IU
- Vitamin C: 2mg
Frequently Asked Questions
What to serve with mushroom rice?
This cream of mushroom rice casserole recipe is best served with some protein! Enjoy this versatile side dish with some grilled lamb chops or lemon pepper pork loin. Rice is the way to go when you want a filling and satisfying meal, and these two meat dishes will give you just that. Additionally, if you want a classic chicken dish, then this simple baked chicken thighs will also give you that same satisfaction. These are just some of our favorite entrees to pair, and you’re more than welcome to serve it with a lot more other dishes.
Can I use instant rice for this recipe?
No, it’s better to use uncooked rice grains instead of instant rice. Most instant rice is precooked which means that you’ll only need to cook it for about a few minutes before consuming it immediately. If you use instant rice for this recipe, it will most likely end up gooey and sludgy because it would be exposed to too much liquid. That’s why we used uncooked long grain rice since it needs to absorb a lot of flavorful liquids to really give it that delicious flavor and soft texture.
ConclusionRice is one of those side dishes that can greatly improve your entire meal. That’s why you can’t miss out on this easy cream of mushroom rice casserole recipe. It’s creamy, flavorful, and packed with mushroom slices. Serve this scrumptious rice with some delicious chicken dishes.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!