How To Make Shrimp Pad Thai
Healthy and filling, this shrimp pad thai makes a loaded Asian dish using rice noodles, veggies, and shrimp, tossed in a savory and sweet peanut sauce.
- 8ozflat rice noodles,linguini or fettuccini width
- 2large eggs
- vegetable oil,as needed
- 5tbspfish sauce
- 2tbspsoy sauce,use gluten free if needed
- 2tbspfresh lime juice,from 1 lime
- 1tbspcreamy peanut butter
- ½tspred chili flakes,dried
- 4clovesgarlic,finely chopped
- 1tbspfresh ginger,finely chopped
- 1lblarge shrimp,peeled and deveined, thawed if frozen
- salt,as needed
- ⅔lbbroccoli florets,(10 oz), (1-inch)
- 4green onions,chopped into 1-inch pieces, light and dark parts
- 1cupfresh bean sprouts,plus more for garnish if desired
- ¼cupdry roasted peanuts,coarsely chopped
- ½cupfresh cilantro,chopped
- lime wedges,for serving, optional
Bring 6 cups water to a boil in a large pot. Off the heat, add the noodles. Let sit, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, for 5-20 minutes until softened but still al dente.
Drain and rinse well with cold water. Set aside.
In a small bowl, beat the eggs with a pinch of salt. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the fish sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, peanut butter, sugar and dried chili flakes. Set aside.
Heat 3 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large nonstick pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, ginger, and shrimp; season with ¼ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring constantly, for a few minutes until the shrimp are pink and cooked through.
Transfer the shrimp, garlic, and ginger to a large bowl, using a rubber spatula to scrape the pan clean.
Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the hot pan. Add the broccoli, ¼ cup of water, and ¼ teaspoon salt; cook, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes until the broccoli is cooked through. Transfer the cooked broccoli to the bowl with the shrimp.
Add 1 teaspoon of oil to the hot pan. Add the beaten eggs and scramble for 1 to 2 minutes until cooked through. Add to the bowl with the shrimp and broccoli.
Add 4 tablespoons of oil to the hot pan. Add the drained noodles to the pan, along with the fish sauce mixture. Cook, tossing the noodles gently so as not to break them, for a few minutes until perfectly cooked.
Add the shrimp, broccoli, and eggs to the pan, along with the green onions; toss gently to combine, cooking until everything is warmed through. Right before serving, sprinkle the bean sprouts, peanuts, and cilantro over top and toss to combine.
Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Transfer to a serving platter and serve with lime wedges and bean sprouts, if desired.
- Calories: 538.34kcal
- Fat: 16.14g
- Saturated Fat: 2.57g
- Trans Fat: 0.07g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 8.33g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.93g
- Carbohydrates: 69.22g
- Fiber: 3.28g
- Sugar: 13.01g
- Protein: 30.68g
- Cholesterol: 235.88mg
- Sodium: 3015.24mg
- Calcium: 169.86mg
- Potassium: 742.68mg
- Iron: 3.15mg
- Vitamin A: 235.04µg
- Vitamin C: 83.29mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!