How To Make Livornese
Make your meal special by serving a livornese or Italian seafood dish. Savor tasty flavors through its mix of cod, white wine, and tomatoes.
- 8 oz clean cod, (½ pound)
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp capers
- 6 kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- ⅔ cup white wine
- parsley, (1 bunch) freshly chopped, and extra for garnish
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1 cup tomatoes with liquid, crushed, or 1 cup marinara sauce
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
Season cod with some salt and black pepper.
In a large 10-inch deep non-stick skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat and toss in the garlic. Saute garlic for about 1 to 2 minutes.
Add in the codfish and sear cod for 1 minute. Pour in the white wine, and allow the wine to reduce a little, about 1 to 2 minutes until it softens.
Toss in the capers, fresh parsley, kalamata olives, crushed red pepper flakes, and crushed tomatoes.
Cover with the lid, and reduce the heat to low. Simmer the sauce with cod for about 5 to 8 minutes. Codfish should turn opaque and be fully cooked. Taste the tomato sauce, and adjust if needed, season with salt and black pepper to taste.
Using a large spatula, carefully transfer fish to a serving plate, spoon sauce over the fish. Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped parsley on top.
Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Codfish is delicate and flaky when fully cooked, so it’s best to use a large spatula as you transfer it to a plate.
- You may spoon as much Livornese sauce or as little over the fish as desired.
- Feel free to use some crusty Italian bread nearby to scoop up the sauce.
- This recipe for Livornese is adaptable to tilapia, snapper, and even Dover sole.
- Sugar: 6g
- Calcium: 85mg
- Calories: 409kcal
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- Fat: 24g
- Fiber: 3g
- Iron: 3mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 17g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g
- Potassium: 909mg
- Protein: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Sodium: 636mg
- Vitamin A: 401IU
- Vitamin C: 14mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!