How To Make Chicken Pakora
Chicken pakora is an Indian-inspired dish with marinated chunks of chicken. These are battered and fried until crispy and golden.
- 6 chicken thigh fillets, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp dried coriander leaf
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp ground fenugreek
- 4 cups vegetable oil, for deep frying
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 1¼ cups gram flour, (chickpea flour or besan)
- 1 tbsp cornflour, (cornstarch)
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup water
- Place the chicken thigh pieces in a bowl.
Add the minced ginger, chopped chilli, cumin ground coriander, dried coriander leaf, chilli flakes and ground fenugreek.
Mix together to coat the chicken, then cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Heat the oil in a wok or large heavy-based pan over a medium heat.
Take the chicken out of the fridge and sprinkle on the salt, garlic salt, gram flour, corn flour and baking soda. Mix together to combine, then add in the water a splash at a time until it yields a batter about the thickness of heavy cream.
- Test the heat of the oil by dropping a little blob of the batter in the wok. It should sizzle and rise to the top.
Add the chicken into the oil, one piece at a time, using a set of tongs. Work in 2 batches to ensure the pan isn’t overcrowded. Fry for 4 to 5 minutes until the coating is golden brown and the chicken is cooked through.
Keep the first batch warm in a warm oven at 250 degrees F whilst the second batch is cooking.
- Once all of the chicken pakoras are cooked, place in a serving bowl and sprinkle with fresh coriander.
- Serve with sweet chilli sauce.
- Sugar: 2g
- Calcium: 30mg
- Calories: 326kcal
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Cholesterol: 111mg
- Fat: 20g
- Fiber: 3g
- Iron: 2mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 8g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g
- Potassium: 414mg
- Protein: 22g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Sodium: 565mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 218IU
- Vitamin C: 3mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!