How To Make Huevos Ahogados (Eggs Drowned in Salsa)
Up your breakfast eggs game with this hearty Mexican huevos ahogados. The runny eggs are submerged in a rich and flavorful salsa.
Prep: 35 mins
Cook: 15 mins
Total: 50 mins
- 1⁄2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 4 pieces
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp salt, plus additional 2 tsp
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 1 chile de árbol, stems removed
- 1 serrano chile
- 1 jalapeno chile
- 2 yellow chiles
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup water, where the chile was boiled in
- 4 eggs
- Pour vegetable oil into a small frying pan placed over a medium flame. Allow to get hot.
- Add the onion and garlic cloves to the pan. Brown onion and garlic on all sides. Remove from pan and set in a blender for later use.
- In a large lidded pot fill halfway with water. Set pot over a medium flame and add 2 tablespoons of salt to the pot. Cover with lid and bring to a boil.
- Add in the tomatoes, chile de arbol, serrano chile, jalapeno chile, and yellow chile to boiling water and cover with lid.
- Allow chile mixture to boil for 30 minutes.
Add boiled tomatoes, chile de árbol, 1 teaspoon of black pepper, remaining salt, serrano chile, jalapeno chile, yellow chile and 1 cup of water chiles were boiled in to blender with fried onion and garlic cloves.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour chile mixture into a large frying pan over a medium flame. Bring to a boil.
- Once salsa is boiling, carefully add eggs one at a time to salsa.
- Cover pan with a lid and simmer until egg whites are fully cooked but yolks are still runny.
- Serve eggs in a bowl along with salsa.
Submit Your Own Recipe
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!