How To Make Mexican Pinto Beans
- 1lbdried pinto beans
- 1tspolive oil
- 1smallyellow onion,chopped
- ½mediumyellow onion,left whole
- 4¼ozchopped green chilies,(1 can)
- 2tbspchicken bouillon,or vegetable bouillon, Better than Bouillon
- 2bay leaves
- 1tspkosher salt
- 2mediumvine tomatoes,cored, seeded, and chopped
- ¼mediumred onion,chopped
- 3ozqueso Oaxaca,or mozzarella, diced ¼-inch
- Lime wedges,for serving
- tortillas,optional for serving
Soak the beans overnight in water. Discard the water the next day.
Set pressure cooker to Saute, add the oil and chopped onion and cook until soft. Add the garlic, ¼ cup cilantro and cook 1 minute. Set aside in a bowl.
In the pressure cooker combine the soaked beans, green chilies, jalapeño, half onion, bouillon, bay leaves and 6 cups water. Cover and cook high pressure for 45 minutes.
Natural release. Discard bay leaves, half onion and jalapeño and stir in the reserved sautéed onion and season with salt.
Press saute and cook uncovered until thickened for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, combine the tomato, red onion, scallion and cilantro in a small bowl.
Ladle beans into serving bowls, add the cheese and top with tomato mixture and avocado. Serve with lime wedges and tortillas if desired.
- Calories: 315.48kcal
- Fat: 8.84g
- Saturated Fat: 2.88g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4.28g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.99g
- Carbohydrates: 44.92g
- Fiber: 12.08g
- Sugar: 4.58g
- Protein: 16.24g
- Cholesterol: 11.36mg
- Sodium: 493.90mg
- Calcium: 162.42mg
- Potassium: 1127.84mg
- Iron: 3.63mg
- Vitamin A: 37.41µg
- Vitamin C: 54.48mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!