Try this hearty Mexican staple with homemade tacos or burritos. It’s healthy and protein-rich that you can even top it on some classic Tex-Mex dishes. Once you have a go at our refried beans recipe, you might have it more frequently than expected.
How To Make Homemade Refried Beans
- Heat the bacon fat or oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and sauté until softened and lightly browned.
- Add the garlic, cumin and chili powder and cook 1-2 more minutes.
- Add drained beans and the water.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium.
- Simmer until beans are very tender and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- If they become too thick or dry, add more water.
- Mash the beans with a fork, wooden spoon or a potato masher, until they are mashed but still chunky.
- You can vary this by adding cayenne pepper, fresh hot minced peppers, cheese or salsa.
- Calcium: 42mg
- Calories: 160kcal
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Fat: 6g
- Fiber: 7g
- Iron: 2mg
- Potassium: 364mg
- Protein: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Sodium: 17mg
- Sugar: 1g
- Vitamin A: 122IU
- Vitamin C: 2mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!