Mozzarella cheese is always a good thing to have in the refrigerator and it tastes even better homemade. This fresh mozzarella goes perfectly with ripe tomatoes and fresh basil.
How To Make 30-Minute Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
Now you can make your own 30-Minute Fresh Mozzarella Cheese at home. Stringy, delicate, and fresh. This cheese is great for pizzas, salads, and everything else.
- ½ rennet tablet
- ¼ cup cool, chlorine-free water, most bottled waters are chlorine-free
- 1 gallon milk, 2%, 1%, or skim
- 2 tsp citric acid
- Crush the rennet into the water and stir to dissolve. Pour milk into the pot. Place over medium heat. Sprinkle the citric acid over the milk and stir a few times. Heat milk to 88 degrees F. The milk will begin to curdle.
- At 88 degrees F, add the rennet solution and continue stirring slowly every few minutes until the milk reaches 105 degrees F. Turn off the heat. Large curds will appear and begin to separate from the whey (the clear, greenish liquid).
- With a slotted spoon or mesh strainer, scoop the curd into a large glass bowl. If it is still too liquid, let it set for a few more minutes.
- Press the curds gently with your hand and pour off as much whey as possible. Microwave curds on high for 1 minute, then drain off all the excess whey.
- With a spoon, press curds into a ball until cool. Microwave two more times for 35 seconds each and continue to drain the whey, working the cheese into a ball. In the meantime, place the whey over medium heat and let it heat to about 175 degrees F.
- When cheese is cool enough to touch, knead it like bread dough until smooth. When it stretches like taffy, it is done. If preferred Sprinkle 1 to 2 teaspoons of salt into the cheese while kneading and stretching it.
- Cheese will become stretchy, smooth and shiny. If it breaks easily when stretched, dip it into the hot whey for a few seconds to make it warm and pliable.
- Stretch it into a long rope. Fold over and stretch again. Dip in hot whey as needed to make the cheese pliable. When cheese is smooth and shiny, it is ready.
- Shape it into a log or golf-size balls, then store in a solution of 2 teaspoons of salt to 1 cup water until ready to serve.
- Sugar: 16g
- Calcium: 356mg
- Calories: 195kcal
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
- Fat: 10g
- Iron: 1mg
- Potassium: 416mg
- Protein: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Sodium: 136mg
- Vitamin A: 511IU
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!