How To Make Avocado Sushi Rolls
This avocado sushi rolls recipe is healthy and easy to make. Creamy avocados, crisp cucumbers, and sweet carrots are rolled into fresh-tasting sushi.
- 2 cups short grain white rice, preferably japonica
- 1 piece ginger, (about 3 inches) peeled
- 1 cup rice-wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar, plus 1 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1 cup mini cucumbers, (2 pieces) cut into sticks
- 1 cup carrots, (2 pieces) peeled and cut into sticks
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 avocado, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 6 sheets toasted nori
- soy sauce, for serving
- Wash the rice with water 4 to 5 times. Transfer to a sieve over a bowl to drain. Set aside.
- Using a mandoline or peeler, slice the ginger thinly. Then in a small pot of boiling water blanch the ginger for 5 seconds. Then drain.
- Return the pot to the stove and add ¾ cup of vinegar, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and 2 tablespoons of water. Season with salt. Bring to a simmer and stir to dissolve the sugar. Divide the vinegar mixture into 2 halves. Add the blanched ginger to 1 half. Set aside and cool.
- Add rice into a pot and add 2½ cups of water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to lowest and cover. Cook for 12 minutes or until rice is soft and water is absorbed. Cool with the lid on for 10 minutes.
- Transfer rice into a bowl and cool for another 5 minutes. Then drizzle rice with ¼ of the vinegar mixture and stir. Cover and set aside. Reserve the remaining vinegar mixture.
- Grab the cucumbers and carrots and toss them with the remaining ¼ cup vinegar, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and sesame oil.
- Place 1 sheet of nori, shiny side down on a sushi mat. Wet hands with the reserved vinegar mixture and spread ¾ cup of rice evenly across the nori. Leave a ½-inch border on all sides.
- Spread 2 teaspoons of mayo across the center of the rice. Then place cucumbers, carrots, and avocado horizontally just below the center of the rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Place thumbs underneath the mat and lift the mat to cover the filling. Squeeze firmly for a tight cylindrical roll. Then keep rolling away until the ends meet.
- Transfer the roll to a cutting board and using a knife wet with the vinegar mixture cut the sushi into 6 equal pieces. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Serve with soy sauce and pickled ginger on the side.
- Sugar: 6g
- Calcium: 34mg
- Calories: 403kcal
- Carbohydrates: 63g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Fat: 13g
- Fiber: 5g
- Iron: 3mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 5g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g
- Potassium: 334mg
- Protein: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Sodium: 80mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 3765IU
- Vitamin C: 6mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!