How To Make Spicy Crab Roll (Spicy Kani Roll Sushi)
Spice up your Japanese meals with this spicy crab roll recipe. Delicate crab sticks rolled in seasoned sushi rice and topped with spicy mayo for a tasty starter.
For Sushi Rice:
- 1 cup sushi rice short-grain sushi rice
- 1 cup water
- 1½ tbsp sushi vinegar, (or mix 1 tbsp rice vinegar, ½ tbsp sugar, and ½ tsp salt)
For Spicy Mayo:
- 3 tsp mayonnaise
- 1½ tsp sriracha sauce
For Spicy Kani Roll:
- 4 oz kanikama, (imitation crab or canned crab meat)
- 2 sheets nori seaweed
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds, white or black, or a combination of both
- Rinse the rice 4 or 5 times with clean water. In a pot add rice and water then boil for 20 minutes or until the water is completely absorbed.
- Once cooked, transfer to a large bowl and let it cool for 10 minutes. While still warm, add the vinegar to the rice and stir gently to coat and separate the grains.
Spicy Sriracha Mayo:
- In a mixing bowl mix together Sriracha sauce and mayonnaise. Adjust and add more Sriracha or mayo according to taste.
Spicy Crab Salad:
- Shred the imitation crab using two forks and mix with the spicy sriracha mayo. Season with salt and pepper.
Spicy Crab Roll:
- Grab a sushi mat and put a plastic wrap on top. Fold and cut the nori sheet into two halves with kitchen scissors. Then place half of a nori sheet on top of the sushi mat shiny side facing down.
- With wet hands get ¾ cup of rice and spread evenly over the nori. Spread sesame seeds if preferred.
- Flip the sheet to the other side with the rice side facing down. Add the kani crab salad in the middle of the nori sheet.
- Place the thumbs underneath the sushi mat and lift the edge up and over the filling. Roll the mat away while squeezing to keep the sushi intact. Keep rolling until ends meet.
- Transfer the roll to a cutting board and cut into 8 equal pieces.
- Top with more spicy mayo and sesame seeds if preferred. Serve.
- Sugar: 1g
- Calcium: 24mg
- Calories: 122kcal
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
- Fat: 2g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 1mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
- Potassium: 31mg
- Protein: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Sodium: 113mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 36IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!