It’s sugar, spice, and everything nice with this pumpkin pound cake recipe! It’s fluffy and tender with a rich pumpkin flavor from the pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice. Smothered with the lemony cream cheese frosting, every bite is like a taste of autumny heaven. Pair it with a steaming hot cup of caramel coffee, and your Thanksgiving dessert will be complete.
Tips on Making Pumpkin Pound Cake
While most pumpkin pound cake recipes make use of a maple syrup cake glaze, we gave this one a revamp by using cream cheese icing. Plus, we made it extra moist and tender by adding sour cream to the mixture. You’ll see how easy it is to bake your own rustic-looking cafe-style pumpkin bundt cake at home. Here are the best tips for making it:
- Use room temperature ingredients. They’re easier to mix together. When any cake recipe calls for softened butter, use softened, not melted butter as melted butter will give you a greasy cake.
- Use canned pumpkin puree or make your own at home. To make homemade pumpkin puree, simply cut and boil some pumpkin until tender, then drain and puree them.
- Make your own confectioner’s sugar if the actual one is not available. Mix 1 cup granulated sugar with 1 teaspoon of arrowroot or cornstarch. Give it a few minutes to pulverize into powdered sugar using a blender or food processor.
- Aside from using a bundt pan, you can also use a loaf pan to make a pumpkin loaf cake. Bake them into mini loaf pans, box them, and you have a great gift fit for Mother’s Day! Take note that smaller portions will finish baking faster.
- Enjoy it gluten-free. Check out the recipe card for a gluten-free flour recipe you can use.
- Make it even more delicious by topping it with other yummy ingredients! Once frosted, top it with a dash of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice, toasted pecans, chocolate shavings, or a drizzle of caramel syrup.
For other pumpkin dessert recipes, check out this cold creamy pumpkin pie smoothie!
How To Make Pumpkin Pound Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
This easy pumpkin pound cake recipe makes a moist and tender pumpkin cake filled with real pumpkin puree, plus a luscious cream cheese frosting to go on top. A cafe-style cake that’s easy to make, even for beginners.
Pumpkin Pound Cake:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease a bundt pan or loaf pan with butter or cooking spray. Set aside.
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Mix.
In a bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
Add eggs one by one, making sure to incorporate them completely after each addition.
Fold in half of the dry ingredients.
Add the milk and the remaining flour mixture.
Fold in the pumpkin puree. Mix until combined.
Carefully spoon the batter into the pan.
Bake it for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Let cool for at least 15 minutes before removing the cake from the pan and frosting.
Cream Cheese Icing:
Beat the butter for 3 minutes or until fluffy.
Add confectioners sugar ½ cup at a time, making sure to completely incorporate after each addition.
Beat the cream cheese in.
Add the vanilla extract, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
Frost the cake by spooning the frosting over or using a piping bag.
Serve and enjoy!
*To make a gluten-free flour blend, combine 2 cups of rice flour, ⅔ cup of potato starch, ⅓ cup of tapioca flour, and 1 teaspoon of Xanthan gum. Use an appropriate amount and store the remainder in a container with a tight-fitting lid. Stir well before using.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is my pound cake heavy?
If your pumpkin pound cake is dense and heavy, the main reason is that not enough air has been incorporated into the cake batter. Make sure to cream the butter and sugar well until the mixture turns pale and fluffy. Then, make sure not to deflate all this air by folding the dry ingredients gently and not overmixing. Also, don’t forget to check if the baking powder and baking soda used are still good and not expired.
How do you make pound cake moist?
A dry pound cake is caused by baking it at a high temperature or for too long. It’s easy to fix. Make a simple syrup by mixing equal parts of water and sugar. Add a teaspoon or two of vanilla extract or lemon, if desired. Brush or spray this mixture into the cake to make it moist again. It also dries out eventually when stored. Keep it fresh and moist longer by wrapping it with plastic wrap before storing it in a plastic container in the fridge.
Does this pumpkin pound cake have to be refrigerated?
As the pumpkin pound cake is topped with cream cheese icing, it is a must to keep it chilled. Keep the cake in a sealed container or wrap it in plastic wrap to prevent drying out. It will stay good in the fridge for 5 days, and in the freezer for 1 month.
With this simple recipe, you can now make the most delectable pumpkin cream cheese pound cake filled with homemade tangy cream cheese frosting for the perfect fall treat.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!