This pumpkin coffee cake recipe is a fun holiday favorite for the whole family. It’s moist and tender on the inside and covered with a layer of sweet crispy streusel topping. The chopped nuts and ground cinnamon give it that extra crunch and festive flavor. Enjoy a slice of this pumpkin coffee cake for dessert or an afternoon snack with a hot cup of almond coffee.
Tips for Making Pumpkin Coffee Cake
This easy pumpkin coffee cake recipe is made using a packaged yellow cake mix. It already has baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and milk so you have fewer ingredients to prepare. Meanwhile here are a couple of helpful tips to give you a leg up in making this pumpkin streusel coffee cake:
- We recommend using pumpkin puree instead of pumpkin pie filling. Since pumpkin pie filling is already seasoned with sugar and fall spices, it’ll be too sweet for this recipe.
- Use room temperature ingredients. This ensures that the cake batter will mix well and bake evenly.
- Double the recipe for a thick streusel topping! Because you can never get enough of that crunchy and sweet crumble topping, right? Or, you can also simply top it with vanilla icing, confectioner’s sugar, or a smear of cream cheese and maple syrup.
- Aside from making this in a baking dish, you can also make them in cupcake pans to make personal-sized coffee cupcakes. Make sure to always grease whichever pan you use with cooking spray or butter and flour.
- Put chunky dollops of cream cheese through the batter for a cheesy surprise.
Anytime, even outside fall season, is a great time to enjoy pumpkins, right? For other pumpkin dessert recipes, check out this pumpkin cheesecake!
How To Make Pumpkin Coffee Cake
Make this easy peasy pumpkin coffee cake recipe with yellow cake mix and real pumpkin puree. Topped with a crumbly sweet streusel topping, each bite is a delightful treat for anyone.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine all the cake ingredients.
Blend at low speed for about 1 minute until completely moistened. Beat for another 2 minutes at medium speed.
Spread the batter in a greased and floured 13x9x2-inch pan.
In a medium bowl, combine the streusel ingredients with a fork or pastry blender to form a crumbly mixture. Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the batter.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the center springs back when touched lightly.
Let cool and serve.
- Sugar: 56g
- Calcium: 184mg
- Calories: 629kcal
- Carbohydrates: 91g
- Cholesterol: 61mg
- Fat: 28g
- Fiber: 3g
- Iron: 3mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 15g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g
- Potassium: 228mg
- Protein: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Sodium: 568mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 9172IU
- Vitamin C: 3mg
Frequently Asked Questions
Is coffee cake a crumb cake?
Coffee cake refers to both coffee-flavored cake and any cake meant to be eaten with coffee. They can come with or without a crumble topping. On the other hand, crumb cake has a distinct sweet crumb topping called streusel. Therefore, if a coffee cake is covered with streusel, then we can call it a crumb cake.
Is canned pumpkin and pumpkin puree the same thing?
Canned pumpkin is made of pumpkin puree, so basically they are the same and can be used interchangeably. Pumpkin pie filling, however, is different as it is flavored with sugar and spices.
ConclusionMake your dessert time extra special by making this homemade pumpkin coffee cake with yellow cake mix! It’s easy, but it ain’t less heartwarming to anyone whom you’ll serve it to.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!