Cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice blend together to perfectly spice this fantastic cake.
How To Make Pumpkin Cake with Brown Butter Icing
1 hr 40 mins
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter room temperature, plus more for pan
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour plus more for pan
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup homemade pumpkin purée or canned
- 1/2 cup milk warm (110 degrees)
- walnut halves caramelized
For Brown Butter Icing:
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar sifted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk
- Heat the oven to 350° F. Butter a 9x2-inch round cake pan. Line pan with parchment, and butter the parchment. Coat pan with flour, and tap out any excess.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat sugar and butter together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, and beat until combined. Add pumpkin purée and milk; beat until combined. Add reserved flour mixture; beat on low speed until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool. Let cake rest 20 minutes. Unmold cake. Using an offset spatula, spread icing over top of cake, and decorate with caramelized walnut halves.
- To make Brown Butter Icing, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat until nut-brown in color, about 10 minutes (see note). Remove pan from heat, and pour butter into a bowl, leaving any burned sediment behind.
- Add sugar, vanilla, and 1 Tbs. milk; stir until smooth. If the icing is too thick, add the remaining Tbs. milk, a little at a time, until consistency is spreadable. Let cool 5 minutes. Use immediately.
- Note: Browning the butter in the frosting gives this icing a nutty flavor. The consistency should be thin enough to spread but not runny.
Calories: 488kcal | Carbohydrates: 75g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 94mg | Sodium: 284mg | Potassium: 70mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 53g | Vitamin A: 624IU | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 1mg