If you thought oatmeal was only good for breakfast and cookies, you need to give this cake a try.
How To Make Oatmeal Cake With Penuche Frosting
3 hrs 25 mins
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter or 1 stick, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup flour unbleached
- 1 cup oats ground fine in a blender
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cardamom ground
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar firmly packed , light
- 1 ½ tbsp. milk
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup pecans very finely ground , or walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour a 9-inch Springform pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter with an electric mixer until soft.
- Add the sugar and beat until well blended.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until light and very fluffy.
- Thoroughly combine the flour, ground oats, baking powder, cardamom, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat these ingredients into the butter mixture, alternating with the milk, until well blended.
- Scrape into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack 15 minutes, then loosen the edges of the cake, invert onto a platter, and invert again onto the rack so the cake is right side up.
- Let the cake cool completely, about 2 hours.
- When the cake is cool, make the frosting.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- Add the brown sugar and stir until melted and blended with the butter.
- Slowly pour in the milk, mix well, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Scrape it into a medium bowl and cool 10 minutes.
- Add the confectioners sugar and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Spread all over the cooled cake.
- Decorate the cake by sprinkling the ground nuts on top, leaving a 3/4-inch border bare.
- Wait at least 15 minutes before serving to allow the frosting to set.
Calories: 589kcal | Carbohydrates: 82g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 105mg | Sodium: 356mg | Potassium: 161mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 55g | Vitamin A: 763IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 185mg | Iron: 2mg