Sugar-free maple syrup and sugar substitute make this a cake that everyone can enjoy. It tops a fluffy and light buttercream cake.
How To Make Maple Cake
- 1 ½ cup cake flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 5/8 cup non-fat dry milk
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup walnut halves
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 large egg whites room temperature
- 1 ½ cup Splenda Granular
Maple Cream Frosting and Drizzle
- ⅓ cup whipping cream light
- ½ cup Log Cabin Sugar Free Low Calorie Syrup
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. unflavored gelatin
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 pinch salt
To make cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Toast nuts until fragrant, approximately 4-6 minutes. Let cool.
- Combine 2/3 nuts, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a food processor or blender.
- Process until nuts are finely ground. In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat eggs, egg whites, Splenda and non-fat, dry milk with an electric mixer on high speed, until mixture is thick and pale, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Fold a portion of the dry ingredients into the egg mixture.
- Then fold a portion of the wet ingredients into the egg mixture.
- Continue process until both the dry and wet ingredients are combined with the egg mixture.
- Start and end with the dry ingredients.
- Bake in 2 greased and floured 2x9 pans at 325 degrees for 25 minutes.
To make Maple Cream Frosting and Drizzle
- In a small bowl, combine water and vanilla.
- Sprinkle with gelatin and let soften for 1 minute.
- In a double boiler bring about 1 inch of water to a slight simmer.
- In a heatproof mixing bowl, combine egg whites, syrup, cream of tartar and salt.
- Set bowl over simmering water and beat with an electric mixer on low speed, moving beaters constantly, until an instant thermometer reads 140 degrees.
- This should take approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Increase mixer speed to high and continue beating for 3 minutes.
- Remove bowl from heat.
- Add gelatin mixture and continue to beat until cooled to room temperature, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- In a chilled bowl, beat cream with electric mixer until firm peaks form.
- Fold into meringue with rubber spatula.
Arranging the cake
- Place 1 cake layer, top-side down, on a cake plate.
- Spread 1 cup frosting on cake.
- Top with second cake layer top-side up.
- Spread remaining frosting over top.